Okra soup is a favorite soup for eating fufu throughout West Africa. Diced okra pods are mixed with sliced green vegetable leaves and any variety of meat and fish to make this wonderful soup. Give it a try and don’t forget to rate!
Okra Soup Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups Diced okra
- 1/2 cup Red Palm Oil
- 1/2 pound Various meats Tripe, Beef, Goat, Chicken
- 1/2 pound Various seafood Shrimp, Fish
- 2 tbsp Crayfish
- 2 tbsp Ground red pepper
- 1 Bouillon cubes
- 1 Diced medium onion
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Pumpkin leaves, Spinach
- Soak the dried fish and the stockfish for hours beforehand. The stockfish will also need to be precooked.
- Grind the crayfish and the red pepper (if it is not already ground).
- Wash the pumpkin leaves and cut them into tiny pieces.
- Boil the beef trip and stockfish in the same pot until they are soft. Add the beef, onions, and bouillon cubes. When the beef is done, then add the dried fish
- Put the red palm oil in another pot and heat it. When the oil becomes hot, add the diced okra and fry it.
- Add some of the water left from boiling the beef and fish, and within about 5 minutes the okra will be cooked and would have started to “draw.”
- At this point, add the vegetables, beef, beef tripe, fish, crayfish, and pepper and salt. Stir the soup intermittently.
- Cover the pot and allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes. The soup is ready to be served.
- Cutting board
- Cooking Spoon
- Stove top